Designer / Senior Designer for Nobrow and Flying Eye Books
Who we are and what we do
Nobrow/Flying Eye is an innovative, award-winning, independent publisher of illustrated books based in East London. Our list publishes titles spanning non-fiction, gift, graphic novels, fiction and picture books. Since 2008 we have sought to make great design, ground-breaking art and storytelling central to all our books. We put a great emphasis on beautiful production values and environmental consciousness, we believe in making books that deserve to be printed with stories and art that leaves a lasting impression from diverse creators.
Who we’re looking for
This is an exciting opportunity for a designer or middleweight designer who is looking for their next step or for an experienced senior designer looking for a new challenge. The successful candidate will work primarily on non-fiction books but also be able to turn their hand to picture books, gift and graphic novels.
We require a minimum of three years’ experience working with book or print design and a fluent knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. You will have a genuine passion for book design and illustration with a great eye for detail. You will enjoy working in a highly collaborative creative team of designers and editors. You are also brimming with creative problem-solving skills and comfortable communicating and working closely with illustrators.
Your key duties:
- Working primarily on illustrated non-fiction titles for children this role also spans across picture books, graphic novels and gift books for children and adults.
- Working closely and collaboratively with the Art Director, designers and editors in the creative team.
- Taking books from concept through to print ready files.
- Communicating directly with artists, providing feedback and guidance, helping to colour correct art, check that art and text connect and ensure books meet their deadlines.
- Creating files for co-editions and reprints
Skills and essential requirements:
- 3+ years designing books or relevant print design experience
- Fluent in the Adobe Creative Suite. Especially InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator
- Great rapport with editors and designers, works well in a team and is highly collaborative
- Impeccable typography, layout and creative design skills. Proven design experience and an impressive portfolio.
- Strong conceptual thinking and ability to art direct and colour correct artwork.
- Self-motivated, highly organised and can work well under pressure. Must have energy, enthusiasm, and passion for all things design.
Please send a PDF portfolio, CV with a cover letter telling us why you would like to work for us.
Salary on application. We will offer a competitive salary dependent on experience.
Place of Work: Our office is located in London Fields, Hackney E8, with opportunities for remote working dependent on your personal situation.
Closing date: 1st August 2021, preference given to early applicants.
To apply for this role please email [email protected]